Blogmas Day 20
Let’s take a trip down memory lane, my memory lane I should say. I have been trying to think about which Christmas’ I remember as a kid.
- When I was about 8 years old I got my first boombox for Christmas. I was pretty excited about that, but the best part was the first c.d. that I got with it. N’Sync. Yup, I was a boy band crazed preteen. I still remember screaming when I opened that c.d.
- I believe it was the first Christmas in our first house. I was roughly 6 years old. I remember getting a big kitchen playset. I loved it! I weirdly remember that it had a yellow corded phone on the side of it. I was always playing house, so it was very fitting for me.
- When I was maybe 7, I remember getting this doll that roller skated. I thought it was the coolest thing.
- When I was, oh about 3 or 4, I remember getting this robot from my grandparents. I don’t remember why I got a robot, but I can still picture it. I think it was a police robot.
- I think it was the first Christmas in the new house, we got the first PlayStation. It came with the first Crash Bandicoot game. I remember it was an orange disc. We were instantly hooked and played it all of the time. To this day we still love Crash!
- Most of all I remember going to my grandparent’s house for Christmas. More so, before the divorce when everyone was under one roof. Grandpa would play the organ. We had a “kids” table for eating. Someone always found “the prize” in their food (grandmas straggler hair). The smorgasbord of food. I cherish those memories. Life has changed so much since those days, it is bitter sweet for sure.
- I remember the first Christmas after finding out my dad was moving out. We all got bikes for Christmas. We met our dad at the front door and he walked us behind the Expedition in the driveway for us to see bikes lined up. Mine was a blue mountain bike.
- I remember getting my first bike. I got it from my Uncle for Christmas. It was pink and had all the girly frills on it. A heart shaped zipup bag attached to the front and tassles on the handlebars. I believe I was about 7.
- I remember when I was about 15. I got my mom’s sewing machine and a ton of fabric for Christmas. I was obsessed with making things. I use to think I would be a fashion designer. The funny part about this Christmas though…My older brother came to me some time before Christmas day and said “I know what we are getting for Christmas”. I asked him how he knew and he told me he had found the receipt. I knew I was getting sewing stuff for Christmas. Sneaky kids.
- I remember the Christmas I found out about Santa Claus. Grandma told me I was too old to believe and she figured I already knew. I cried. I remember my sister finding out as well. We were helping put presents under the tree and some of them said “from Santa”. Oops!
- I remember one year, someone decided we shouldn’t have the traditional food at Christmas time (ham, Turkey, potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, and more). My mom decided to make lasagna instead. I don’t know who’s idea it was, but someone added way too much hot sauce to it. I couldn’t eat it. We all get a great laugh out of that memory.
- I remember every year we would go to the Italian American Heritage Society with our grandparents. In Italy, they have the Befana. There was an older woman who always dressed up and came in as the Befana with her cane. She always seemed quirky to me. We would always get one present. We almost always had mostaccioli and meatballs. The food never disappointed. We also would sing Christmas songs. I always wonder if they still do these traditions with the Italian American Heritage Society. My grandpa was very involved in it.
I can’t really think of any other Christmas memories of my childhood. Though I know there should be many more.
What is your fondest Christmas/holiday memory?