Awhile back Pickle and I tried making some homemade ice cream recipes. We tried this birthday cake one and this cookie monster ice cream. I personally like the cookie monster one the best out of the two.
The other day Pickle brought up making ice cream again. I still had 1 can of sweetened condensed milk left from the last time and I thought, maybe I could make a Halloween themed ice cream. I took a look at the birthday cake recipe so I knew what amount of ingredients to use.
I knew I wanted Halloween colors, but I knew I only had red, yellow, and green to work with. So I figured, green, orange, and black(ish) would be fitting. I also had some Halloween sprinkles left from a previous baking extravaganza.
The whole process of making the ice cream took around 30-40 minutes and then freeze overnight.
I started by putting my loaf pan and mixing bowl in the freezer to get cold. I do this because the cold seems to help the whipping cream to not take as long as it would without the chill. Whipping the heavy whipping cream works best in a cold metal bowl, but I only have plastic mixing bowls. They work, it just takes a bit longer.
This recipe is on the sweeter side.
Here is what it looked like before freezing.
- Using a cold medium mixing bowl and hand mixer, whip the whipping cream until firm peaks form ( about 15 minutes)
- Mix together in a separate mixing bowl the 1/3 cup of sugar and the can of sweetened condensed milk
- Slowly whip the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream
- Separate the mixture into 3 small bowls (or however many colors you are doing, I did 3)
- Put the food coloring into the small bowls (One green) (yellow +red=orange) (yellow+red+green=grayish color) I used separate spoons to stir each bowl so they didn’t mix. Mix until desired colors.
- Get the loaf pan from freezer
- Pour one color at a time in a zig zag motion, alternating the colors so that they intertwine, but don’t mix
- Put sprinkles on top
- Freeze 6 hours/overnight