I think everyone has something that they wish they were better or good at. The other day I was doing a Halloween diy and I was getting a little annoyed at it. Mostly because the tools I had on hand did not cooperate the way I needed them to. See for yourself.
I suppose it could be worse, but it didn’t really hide the fact that it’s a peanut butter jar. Oh well, life goes on.
I’m a bit of a perfectionist and when things don’t go the way I picture, I can easily get annoyed.
After I decided this DIY was finished, I started rambling off (in my own head) the things I wish I was better at.
1. Penmanship – I use to have serious perfectionist issues with my handwriting. I would write something, even homework, and rewrite it as many times as it took for me to like my handwriting. I am not as anal about it now, but for certain things I am. I love sending holiday cards and invitations with fancy looking penmanship on envelopes. I even find it relaxing. Sometimes it takes multiple tries to get it right (I always get extra envelopes).
2. Coding – In high school, I was really good at creating websites with Dream Weaver. I went to try and create my own theme, with WordPress, but coding isn’t my forte. I can figure out the easier things, but it really is like a foreign language.
3. Painting – I love painting. I love painting pictures, walls, and projects. Unfortunately, in high school, I played way too much Guitar Hero (on expert mode) for hours and hours. Now, my hands are not sturdy enough to paint very well. Though, I still paint, just not as often as I would like.
4. Drawing – I am good at drawing certain things. I can draw hands pretty well and doodle type of things. I wish I could draw realistic looking things. I think that is a serious talent that people have and it would be cool to be able to do that. Once again though, my shaky hands can make it difficult to do certain things.
5. Maintaining a schedule – Now that Pickle is in school, most days are somewhat on a schedule. I have never been great at maintaining a schedule everyday while being a stay at home mom. I know it is important for the kids to have structure, but does that mean 100% of the time, everyday? That would mean we couldn’t go out and do things, especially on a whim. I think spontaneity is important sometimes, too.
6. Hair – I can style other people’s hair just fine (except for fancy braids), but doing my own hair is a pain. I basically have 3 styles that I do (bun, straight, and curly). I always see all these styles on Pinterest, that I try to mimic, but most of the time it doesn’t work out. I am sure it is partly because of my hair type.
7. Sewing – I use to be pretty good at sewing, but some how lost the touch. I think it has a lot to do with the machine I had. I had an etsy shop once, but I didnt have enough time to practice and get better at it. I wound up selling my machine a few months back. Maybe one day I will get back into it again.
8. Writing skills – People tell me that I write well. I really have been considering taking an English class to brush up on grammar and punctuation. I believe they are important, but I know I am not the best at it.
Now that I am looking at this list, I realize, it is mostly filled with things that have to do with my hands. I think, I could improve in all these areas. Whether it is lessons or just practicing on my own. There is always room for improvement. I think I am going to start working on these, one at a time, and see what happens.
What are some things you wish you were better or good at?